Are Christmas Cactus Poisonous to Dogs?

are christmas cactus poisonous to dogs

The holidays are a time of decorating your home with plants and trees. But are these plants safe around pets? The short answer is yes, according to the ASPCA. However, you should still keep these plants out of reach from your pet. They can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs and cats, and some plants can even be deadly to your pets.

Christmas cacti and other succulents are considered non-toxic, according to the ASPCA. These plants are also easy to grow from stem cuttings. Just lay the cut ends out to dry for a day or two to develop a callus, and then plant them in soil that is specifically designed for cacti. Place the pot in an area with high humidity so the stems will root quickly. They can be kept indoors or out, but be sure to water them regularly.

Are Cactus Flowers Poisonous to Dogs?

In addition to being a beautiful decoration, a Christmas cactus can help fill your home with the aroma of holiday baking. They can also be used to make herbal tea. While the leaves and flower petals are not toxic, you should be careful about eating them if you have allergies. However, if you are not allergic to the plants or just like them as a snack, then there is no need to worry.

It is best to avoid using pesticides on any type of cactus, including Christmas cactus. Any sprays applied to the plant may contain chemicals that can be harmful if ingested by your pet or young children. It is better to err on the side of caution and use other methods to protect your pets from pests such as baiting or trapping them.

The Christmas cactus and other succulents are typically safe to have in your home as long as you are careful about where you keep them. But you should consider putting other holiday plants, such as poinsettias and amaryllis, up high where your pets can’t reach them. You can also try spraying the plants with cayenne pepper dissolved in water to give them a spicy taste and deter your pet from chewing on or consuming them.

Whether it’s their slippers, magazines, or your prized houseplants, dogs are naturally curious and tend to want to explore all of the things in your home. Often, this leads to collateral damage such as chewed slippers or shredded plants. Fortunately, if your dog eats a small amount of a Christmas cactus, they should experience no serious symptoms other than an upset stomach. However, if your dog ate a large amount of the plant or shows signs of being sick such as vomiting or diarrhea, then it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately. The vet will be able to recommend treatment based on your pet’s specific needs. They may also ask to examine your pet if you suspect he or she has eaten something that could be poisonous or caused an allergic reaction.

You may also like...